19 February 2010

REVIEW FROM ATTACKFANZINE.NET

REVIEW FROM ATTACKFANZINE.NET

ATOMICDEATH "Missile Massacre" cassette EP (Black Konflik Records)

I’ve noticed that the tape has somewhat come back here and there to replace the CD-R that once took its place, especially when it comes to the more metal oriented underground bands. In countries like Malaysia and Singapore however it never really went away, something I (apart from all the good music) have always liked about those countries. I could debate the pros and cons of CDs vs. tapes I guess, but there’s no denying that a pro-printed tape looks and feels cooler than a pro-printed CD-R that still looks and feels very much like a home made CD. I’ve got nothing against them really, but I like the tape as a product better.

Malaysian Atomicdeath have put together this four-track tape EP and its content land somewhere in crossover territory with some not-quite-as-fast Slayer-ish riffs, lots of pounding drum-action, and even a couple of gang vocal sections. Not an overtly obvious hardcore punk influence, but still present in its own way in the edgy riffs, and the sharp vocals who carry quite a lot of attitude in them. I guess Celtic Frost needs to be mentioned as an influence here as well.

My favourite track - who also holds all of the ingredients mentioned above - are “War ripping skull”, but the remaining three not far behind. Now, with a slightly harder and darker sound, and maybe some black metal dirt added, their next release should send shockwaves across the globe no doubt.

Krogh – February 14, 2010